5 Signs of Faulty Electrical Wiring in Your Home or Business

Most Common Causes of Power Outages
December 4, 2018
Show all

5 Signs of Faulty Electrical Wiring in Your Home or Business

Outdated, damaged or otherwise poorly installed and maintained wiring present dangers that many homeowners fail to detect until it is too late. This lack of knowledge by the general public is proven by the fact that 39% of home electrical fires involve outlets and receptacles, interior house wiring, and other electrical wiring. However, the signs of faulty wiring which could lead to fire, electrocution, etc. do not have to go undetected. Keep your senses alert for these easy to spot warning signs of faulty electrical wiring. (Warning: If you find any problems with your electrical system, do not attempt to fix or tinker with it yourself. Instead, contact one of our qualified professionals.)

  • Flickering lights: Lights that flutter can often signal one of two things: (1) too much electricity is being consumed by one of your major appliances, (2) you have faulty wiring running somewhere within your business or home. If this problem is constant then you should call a licensed electrician. He/she will be able to test out your electrical wiring to determine where the extra load is coming from.
  • Hot outlets: It doesn’t take a skilled electrician to detect this symptom of a faulty wiring/electrical system. Using only your hands, you can detect whether or not any of your outlets are hot to the touch. If one or more of them is hot, then this could indicate several problems. One is that there are too many devices plugged into that particular outlet. Another more serious problem is that of faulty wiring. If the latter is true you will need an electrician to properly assess and resolve the situation.
  • Constant buzzing noises: Electricity running through wiring does not normally make noise. If you hear noises while your appliances are plugged in it could signal problems with your wiring that need to be addressed immediately.
  • Burning and odd odors: Do you sometimes detect a burning, smoky odor around one of your outlets? If you do you should not. Trust your senses when you smell odors of this kind and call a professional electrician or electrical contractor in the Kansas City area.wires
  • Frayed or chewed wiring: Rodents, pets, handymen and other things can often damage even new wiring. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms in your home or business, make a visual inspection of any wiring that you can see.

Finally, if you detect any of these signs remember that electricity can kill. Protect yourself, your family and/or co-workers by contacting one of our commercial electrical contractors in Kansas City for your business and our residential contractors for your home. We do inspections and we also have industrial power generators in Kansas City so that your business can be prepared in the event of a blackout.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *